Get Your Home Ready For Spring!
Get the most out of your home spring cleaning with these mini face-lift suggestions
- Plant Foliage and Shrubbery
- Strategically placed plants can boost your curb appeal. Place large pots or hanging baskets around the stoop or porch. Bushes or hedges can hide air-conditioning units or propane tanks.
- Prune and Mulch
- Prune dead branches, trim back any overgrown shrubbery and remove obstructive plantings. Spread mulch or bark around trees, shrubs and flowers for a weed-free, well-kept look.
- Clear Gutters
- This tip can save you a lot of money on future repair costs. Inspect your gutters and downspouts just before the spring rains start to be sure they're clear of debris that might cause problems. Clogging usually occurs at the elbow, where the downspout connects to the gutter. Since this elbow is relatively easy to remove, take it off and inspect for clogging.
- Freshen Up Furniture
- Spray a fresh coat of paint on furniture and replace the cushions. Fill an empty spot on the porch with a modern bench or porch swing.
- Change Outdoor Bulbs
- Clean all outdoor light fixtures, and replace burnt-out bulbs with energy-saving CFL bulbs.
- Give Your Door Some Love
- Restore the luster of your door by polishing the hinges and knobs with polish. Paint or stain the door with a color that stands out, yet also complements the trim and siding. Put out a clean, new welcome mat.
- Keep It Clean
- Sweep the sidewalk and stoop, clear away cobwebs, tighten wobbly railings, and repaint posts and supports.